Legal Corner

-List Your Site Here! -- Targeted Advertising For Just Pennies A Day! -Tell A Friend - Bookmark This Page

LegalCornerTM - Starting a Business F.A.Q.'s

Find A Lawyer
Law Area:




Search By:


Q.If I buy or start a small business in the U.S. can I live in the U.S.?

A.YES, if you can qualify as an "E-2 Treaty Investor". E-2 Treaty Investor is a non-immigrant visa category that permits a non-U.S. citizen investor to start a new, or purchase an existing, business in the United States. The E-2 Visa has no maximum periods of stay, is renewable indefinitely, and allows the alien to work in the United States. To qualify for E-2 status, the alien investor must: (1) be a national of one the countries with which the U.S. has a Treaty of Commerce & Navigation; (2) have invested or be actively in the process of investing a "substantial amount of money" in a U.S. business; and (3) take an active role in managing and directing the business. While there is no fixed dollar amount for the amount needed to be invested, generally the minimum investment required in an active commercial enterprise is between $200,000 and $300,000 U.S. dollars.

business, visa, e-2, invest, investment, start a business in the united states, starting a business in the U.S.

Copyright 1999-2019 Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved. All Information on this website is subject to a Disclaimer and Use Agreement. This information is provided as general information only and should not be construed as legal advice. We advise you to seek the advice of competent legal counsel to address your own specific questions, facts and circumstances.