Legal Corner

-List Your Site Here! -- Targeted Advertising For Just Pennies A Day! -Tell A Friend - Bookmark This Page

LegalCornerTM - Re-Establishing Credit F.A.Q.'s

Find A Lawyer
Law Area:




Search By:


Q.Should I use an agency to fix my credit report?

A.NO!. The Internet, TV, and radio are filled with advertisements that offer to erase accurate negative information from your credit file for a small fee. Do not believe or pay attention to these scams. Only time, a deliberate effort, and a plan to repay your bills will improve your credit record.

To have errors in your credit report corrected or positive information reported, merely requires you to write a letter and send it via certified mail. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you yourself can challenge information on your credit report that you believe to be inaccurate. If the reporting agency cannot verify the accuracy of the information, they must remove it.

If you believe there is inaccurate information on your credit report, contact both the credit bureau and the information provider. First, in writing provide the credit bureau with the following information: your name, complete address, a detailed description of the information you believe is inaccurate, an explanation of why you dispute the information, and a request deletion or correction. Include copies of any documents that support your position. You may want to enclose a copy of your report with the disputed items highlighted. Send your letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, so you can document what the credit bureau received. Keep copies of your dispute letter and enclosures.

Copyright 1999-2018 Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved. All Information on this website is subject to a Disclaimer and Use Agreement. This information is provided as general information only and should not be construed as legal advice. We advise you to seek the advice of competent legal counsel to address your own specific questions, facts and circumstances.