Legal Corner

-List Your Site Here! -- Targeted Advertising For Just Pennies A Day! -Tell A Friend - Bookmark This Page

LegalCornerTM - Insurance F.A.Q.'s

Find A Lawyer
Law Area:




Search By:


Q.What type of insurance should a web designer have?


A web design specialist needs protection against the multitude of risks associated with doing business on the Internet, such as copyright and trademark infringement, patent infringement, errors and omissions coverage, etc... The following list provides a starting point for some of the possible insurance coverages a web designer and programmer should look into.

  1. A Business owners policy (BOP): is geared toward the small and medium sized business and often provides coverage for both personal injury and property damage. However, computer equipment will probably be excluded.
  2. Commercial general liability insurance (CGL): provides coverage for bodily injury or property damage.
  3. Accounts receivable insurance: provides coverage if your records are destroyed by a fire, or another disaster against which you are insured. This coverage reimburses those sums you have trouble collecting as a result of the disaster, plus the expense of reconstructing any lost business records. (It does not insure the physical value of the records, such as computer disks.)
  4. Computer insurance: provides coverage for losses resulting from damage to your computer equipment or network.
  5. Crime insurance: provides coverage for employee dishonesty, forgery, alteration, and other fraud, as well as losses from theft and burglary.
  6. Errors & omissions insurance: provides coverage against claims alleging that your negligence or omissions caused personal injury or property damage.
  7. An umbrella policy: provides coverage in the event your claim limits have been exhausted for ordinary liability policies, or where a particular event is excluded from your other liability policies.
  8. Workers compensation insurance: is often required depending on the state in which you. In some states employers with less than 3, 4, or 5 employees may be exempt). This insurance provides coverage for employees' medical and rehabilitation expenses, as well as their lost wages resulting from an on-the-job injury.

Copyright 1999-2018 Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved. All Information on this website is subject to a Disclaimer and Use Agreement. This information is provided as general information only and should not be construed as legal advice. We advise you to seek the advice of competent legal counsel to address your own specific questions, facts and circumstances.