Legal Corner

-List Your Site Here! -- Targeted Advertising For Just Pennies A Day! -Tell A Friend - Bookmark This Page

LegalCornerTM - Health Care Directives and Living Wills F.A.Q.'s

Find A Lawyer
Law Area:




Search By:


Q.Who should I appoint as my health care agent?

A.The person you choose, called an attorney-in-fact or agent, can be almost any adult. You can appoint a relative, a friend, or someone else you trust. You can also appoint an "alternate agent" in case the person you named as your first choice is unable or unwilling to make your health care decisions.

In some states, like California, you cannot appoint a doctor, a person who operates a residential or community care facility, or any of their employees if you are under their treatment or care. It is important to find out who can and cannot be your agent under the law of your state.

The person you appoint needs to be responsible and reliable, and ideally should live close by. It is also important that you talk to the person you plan to appoint to make health care decisions on your behalf so they understand your wishes and agree to accept this responsibility.

Copyright 1999-2019 Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved. All Information on this website is subject to a Disclaimer and Use Agreement. This information is provided as general information only and should not be construed as legal advice. We advise you to seek the advice of competent legal counsel to address your own specific questions, facts and circumstances.