Legal Corner

-List Your Site Here! -- Targeted Advertising For Just Pennies A Day! -Tell A Friend - Bookmark This Page

LegalCornerTM - Hiring F.A.Q.'s

Find A Lawyer
Law Area:




Search By:


Q.Do I need an EIN if I pay a full-time nanny or housekeeper?

A.If you pay someone to come to your home to do housework, babysit, or care for a family member, you may be a household employer. As a household employer you may be required to have an employer identification number (EIN) and to pay payroll taxes, sometimes called the nanny tax.

For the IRS, if you have a household employee you may also be subject to: (a) Social security and Medicare taxes; (b) Federal unemployment tax; and (c) Federal income tax withholding. For more information contact your accountant, or see IRS Publication 926 and IRS Form 1040, Schedule H.

For California residents, a household employer must also register with the EDD after paying $750 in cash wages to an employee in any calendar quarter. The DE-1 HW Registration Form can be found at: For more information on California household employees, see DE-8829 Household Employers Guide and Information Sheet: Household Employment.

ein, employer identification number, ss-4, ss4

Copyright 1999-2018 Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved. All Information on this website is subject to a Disclaimer and Use Agreement. This information is provided as general information only and should not be construed as legal advice. We advise you to seek the advice of competent legal counsel to address your own specific questions, facts and circumstances.