Legal Corner

-List Your Site Here! -- Targeted Advertising For Just Pennies A Day! -Tell A Friend - Bookmark This Page

LegalCornerTM - Collections F.A.Q.'s

Find A Lawyer
Law Area:




Search By:


Q.What can I do if a debt collector violates the law?

A.If you believe a debt collector violated the law: (1) you can report the problem to your state Attorney General's Office and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC); and/or (2) if you have a legitimate claim, you can bring an action in either state or federal court within one year from the date the law was violated.

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop, and avoid them. You can click the following link to file a Complaint or call the FTC at 1-877-382-4357.

If you choose to bring your own lawsuit, you may recover money for the damages you suffered, plus an additional $1000 in statutory damages, plus your attorney's fees and court costs.

If a known group of people have been defauded by a debt collector, an attorney may bring a class action lawsuit and sue for the lesser of $500,000, or one percent of the debt collector's net worth.

debt, debt collection, bad debt, collecting a debt, creditor, collection, credit, credit repair, credit scores, credit bureaus, credit report errors, fixing bad credit, debt collector, debt collection, debt collectors, debt, payment of debt

Copyright 1999-2019 Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved. All Information on this website is subject to a Disclaimer and Use Agreement. This information is provided as general information only and should not be construed as legal advice. We advise you to seek the advice of competent legal counsel to address your own specific questions, facts and circumstances.